Monday, March 9, 2009

Pineapple Jerky-- Yumm!



I just found a great new snack I wanted to tell you about. I've heard of jerky before but always thought of it as dried meat. Now here's a dried fruit snack that is called jerky, and it's real pineapple with just a touch of honey.
Each 4 oz package has about 6 slices of this chewy treat. I've been having a slice after my evening meal to substitute for a high-calorie dessert. Although there isn't a nutritional facts panel available, I've done a little research to find out what I'm getting while I enjoy this fruit snack, a surprising combination of tart and sweet.
A slice satisfies my sweet tooth (as well as everyone else's in my household) and provides less than 75 calories. It contributes a gram of fiber, 2-4% of the daily value for iron, and about 1/3 of the daily value for vitamin C!
If you're not a fruit-eater because you just don't get around to peeling and cutting up the fresh fruit, this is a great option. Pineapple jerky is nutritious, easy to carry anywhere (onboard flights, in your car, in your office desk), and good for you! You can order it online at Jerky.com.
I can't wait to try their other products--I'll report on them right here when I do!

No comments: