Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Uncle Sam Whole Wheat Cereal by Attune Foods


I agreed to try a box of this cereal when a dietitian with Attune foods offered it to me. I have to admit, it's not something I would normally reach for on the grocery shelf. With the only ingredients being whole wheat, flaxseed, barley malt and salt, I really thought it would taste like sawdust.

What a surprise! Somehow it tastes like a sweetened cereal. It has lots of crunch, and is very satisfying. As soon as I tasted it, I started thinking of how I could use it in recipes: It would be great as a topper for peach crisp! Then I found out their website already offers dozens of recipes that use the cereal  (http://www.attunefoods.com/products/Uncle-Sam/uncle-sam-original-heart-healthy-cereal-10oz/recipes). How convenient.

With 10 grams of fiber in a serving, I had to stop myself from pouring a second bowl--I wasn't sure what kind of digestive consequences there could be from all the extra fiber. Happily, my GI tract loved it and I don't have to worry about unpleasant grumblings as is sometimes the case when a new fiber is introduced into the diet.

I still have to get used to those whole flaxseeds in the cereal. I love the wheat flakes, but the little seeds give a different mouthfeel and tend to get stuck in between teeth.

The upsides are plentiful, though: Whole grain, 10 grams of fiber per bowl, 7 grams of protein, and less than a gram of sugar. It's a great breakfast for me with a nice crunchy texture and keeps me full through the morning until lunch time.

I would definitely recommend trying it!

No comments: